So apparently instead of getting better from this weird exhaustion/fog thing I have going on, I seem to be getting worse. It all came to a head a minute ago, when I was reading something online about Twinkle yarn substitutions and someone wrote "9.5 sts = 6" in patt" and I frowned. I thought, "SIX INCHES? Not FOUR INCHES? I'm completely sure I measured 9.5 sts to 4". That must be a typo, yes of course it's a typo, gauge is almost always measured over 4 inches . . . let me just go over to the book and check."
You know where this is going. I knit my entire top way too tightly.
Now, there is a HUGE difference between my gauge of just over 2 sts/inch and the book's gauge of about 1.5 sts/inch. Enough so that you think I might have noticed . . . but it's been a weird journey the whole way.
It started late one night when I decided I had to cast on immediately. I didn't have any size 19's (the suggested needles) at home, nor any size 17's, so I swatched on size 15's because that's what I had on hand.
I tend to knit loosely, so I wasn't at all surprised when I got gauge on the 15's. (incorrect gauge, obviously)
After I got to the raglan shaping, I tried the thing on and it fit, but it was really tight and felt like a corset. I didn't think it was flattering, so I rationalized that even though I had made the largest size, it would be better for me to make some adjustments in the width and armholes and reknit it so I could wear it. I didn't bother measuring anything because I knew exactly how much I had to change it to make it fit like I wanted to.
So I ripped it all out, added 2 stitches (that's 1" more at my gauge) to the cast on and a few rows to the raglan shaping, and knit the whole thing up again, trying it on again when I got to the raglan shaping and confirming it fit just right.
By the time I got to the cowl, my hands started hurting so I took a quick break and checked the Twinkle Flickr Group, which is where I came upon the discussion with the gauge information . . . . and after running over to the book to double check, started laughing so loudly that Adam wanted to know what had happened. When I explained it to him, he said, "That doesn't sound very funny. Aren't you upset?"
What I am, gentle readers, is amused. I was making something that was supposed to stretch to fit, and ended up with something MUCH SMALLER that still stretches and somehow still fits. I measured it flat and started laughing again: It is 28" around at the bust. 28! In my least amplifying bra, I have a 35" bust.
And the thing fits. Look:
And it's really, really cute.
So cute that I am going to stay up late so I can finish the last few inches of cowl, do the pocket trim and weave in the ends. So cute that I am seriously considering knitting another one, since today I bought even more Soft Chunky, this time in Urchin, the gorgeous deep purple color. (the one that Another Shopgirl used for her Shopping Tunic)
My version is obviously denser than the original, but you can kind of see through the fabric so I can't imagine knitting it even more loosely. My version has much shorter cap sleeves, which is completely fine with me (although that shot makes me think I gotta start working out those triceps before summer arrives). And maybe most importantly, my version fits and is nearly done, whereas knitting it correctly would require starting over yet again. ;o)
FO shots tomorrow if it's cold enough to wear it.