It's been months since I actually finished these socks but I didn't get the last end woven in or pictures taken until this past weekend. Of course it's much too hot for my friend Shana to even think about wearing these socks right now anyway so I know (hope?) she doesn't mind the delay TOO much!
These socks had a rough time getting finished: They were restarted 4 times with different cast-on amounts, then when that was fixed they ended up too long and pointed and had to have their toes redone. All in all I think I knit these twice over before I was finished. In the end I added a pattern repeat to the cast on, worked the second sock's pattern reversed to make them mirror images of each other, and changed the toe shaping completely. It's surprising how much they still look like the originals even after all those changes!
You can see in this shot that the stitch pattern twists around, but I didn't find a way to fix the problem and wasn't willing to rip AGAIN to try to remedy it. If you're looking at the socks on your feet it's not very noticeable from the front, only from the sides. I thought it was interesting that they twist is in the same direction even though I mirrored the stitch pattern: amazing how there's always something new to learn about knitting, even when you've been doing it forever!
As always, working with Koigu was a dream and I know Shana will get lots of use out of these socks. In the last few months I've been knitting for others more and I'm finding that I really enjoy it . . . definitely going to make it more of a habit in the future.
Pattern: Nutkin socks, heavily modified
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM in color P905
Needles: Size US 1 dpn's
Started: January 7, 2010
Finished: Sometime in April, 2010