FO-a-day, Day 2: Margarita Socks

Posted on May 05, 2008 | 3 Comments

Quite possibly the fastest socks I've ever knit!

The stripes didn't line up very well on the second sock, it seems that the repeat was a little shorter on the second sock than on the first so the stripes aren't the same. This is most visible around the heel, you can see in this picture that there is a lot of purple around the ankle of the right sock but not as much on the left sock. I'm ok with this, though, socks do not have to be perfect in my world!

If you want to knit these socks, here's what I did:

  1. Knit toe-up socks with fingering weight yarn, with whatever stitch count you want, then after turning the heel knit 6 rows while increasing/decreasing to a stitch count of 66.
  2. Pattern row: * K2tog 2 times, (YO, K1) 3 times, YO, K2tog 2 times, repeat from * 10 times more.
  3. Knit 3 rows. Repeat last 4 rows until socks are desired length. Make sure to bind off on what would have been a knit row, not on the pattern row.

That's it! So simple I couldn't justify working it up into a "pattern".

By the way, this yarn goes FOREVER. I have tons left over, easily enough to make knee-highs. I am kind of shocked at how much is left over! And as Dave pointed out in a comment last time I talked about these socks, Twisted Fibers now sells their yarn from their own website, -- I think I need to get some more!

Project specs:
Pattern: Toe up socks, figure 8 cast on and feather and fan legs
Yarn: Much less than 1 skein Twisted Fiber Arial in color Guardian
Needles: US size 1
Started: April 26, 2008
Finished: May 3, 2008

Posted in feather and fan, Finished Knitting Projects, knitting, Sock knitting, striping sock yarn

FO: Watermelon Socks

Posted on March 21, 2008 | 0 Comments

I'm on a finishing kick over here! (not that you'd know it from my Ravelry page)

Last night I finished the second watermelon sock and I LOVE THEM! They're ridiculous and bright and happy, and therefore perfect socks.

The fit is a little off on these, I probably should have short rowed more on the heel to make it narrower and taller, and these do not have a gusset so they are quite tight across the heel. No matter though, I will certainly wear them! In fact, I'm wearing them to work today!

The bind off I'm also unsure of - I did a sewn bind off and while it looks great on and is stretchy enough, it looks strang OFF the foot and is kind of bothering me.

Project specs:
Pattern: Toe up socks, 60 sts around with short row heels
Yarn: Yarntini Strawberry Daquiri and Koigu P539 for heels
Needles: US size 1
Started: October 2, 2008
Finished: March 21, 2008 (actual knitting time: 10 days)

Up next in socks:

Vesper Sock yarn in Neopolitan! I'm starting these today!

Posted in contrast toes, Finished Knitting Projects, knitting, Sock knitting, striping sock yarn


Recent Posts