Kate is talking about shaping armholes in the round, and it got me thinking about the Silkroad sweater I'm working on now. I initially was going to make it a top down raglan, but I wanted to try out an idea I had a while ago about the increases' placement.
I cast on a wider neck than usual (almost a boatneck) and did my raglan increases from the top down on every other row. But intead of doing them evenly spaced, splitting the circle into four equal segments, I did two sets of increases at each half of the circle. My idea was to avoid having the raglan lines along the shoulders, and instead have the increase lines go down the tops of the shoulders and downt the arms.
Well, the whole thing was working just fine and looked like it would work. Then I took the sleeve stitches and put them on holders, and the sleeve sections curled up and stuck outwards like a futuristic cap sleeve garment of some sort. I thought it wouldn't matter once I knit down a little, but I was wrong.
Moral of the story is, if you're gonna try to mess with your raglan increases's placement, don't put your increases at the top of the shoulders coming down the arms. I'm hypothesizing that the fabric's being increased at such an extreme rate will always create the warped shape curling upwards, which is definitely not what one wants in a sweater.
However, if you were looking for a way to make short sleeves that stick out skywards. . . this might be the way to go.