(found through January One)
Fill in the blanks about your senior year. The longer ago it was the better (sorry, I have no control over that).
1. Who was your best friend? I had a group of 7-10 "best friends" but the best one of them was Anne P. We've kept in touch but since she moved to Seattle 2 years ago I haven't talked to her much. . .
2. What sports did you play? Marching Band Color Guard. Now you know the extent of my dorkiness. I even did it in college!
3. What kind of car did you drive? I was lucky enough to get my mom's old Camry once I got my license, I named her Baby and spent quite a lot of time in there. I was a horrible driver, got in an accident the first day I had a permit! I managed to kill the tranny within 6 months of taking over her car . . .
4. It's Friday night, where were you at? The movies or the mall. My crowd didn't party, we watched a lot of XFiles and went out to movies almost every week. Also, some Fridays during the season I was on the football field performing.
5. Were you a party animal? Not even close. I never drank in high school, not even at prom. We used to have a great time hanging out and I remember thinking I was smarter than everyone else because I knew how to have fun without drinking!
6. Were you considered a flirt? Definitely. Although I was almost always in a relationship or chasing after this one boy (I did finally get him after graduation!), so it's not like I flirted with many people. I was (and still am) a serial monogamist.
7. Ever skip school? I skipped AP Bio a lot during the last months of senior year. I used to work at Starbucks, I'd go there instead of to class, then show up at the end of the period and give my teacher a Frappuccino so he wouldn't write me up. And it worked too, I never once got in trouble.
8. Ever smoke? Never. Gross.
9. Were you a nerd? Duh. But my school didn't have a "popular" and "nerdy" crowd, we just had lots of cliques and no one cared what everyone else did. I was in the "overachievers" crowd for most of high school, although I frequently hung out with the "artistic" crowd (when they weren't getting high).
10. Did you get suspended/expelled? Of course not! Right before graduation I had to go to the principal's office to do something and one of the secretaries asked me if I was a student!
11. Can you sing the Alma Mater? I can't believe it, but I don't remember it. After years singing it at football games! It's all confused with my college songs, which I remember very well. I do remember my high school's version of the "NaNa" song, but that doesn't really count.
12. Who was your favorite teacher? I don't know. I remember the ones I truly hated, like my chem teacher. I liked my senior year AP English teacher a lot, because he cursed in class and behaved how I thought college professors would (and I was right). He once told us about getting drunk with his buddies and picking up hookers . . .
13. Favorite class? I didn't have one, but I HATED going to French and Chem classes. I liked my AP Calculus class a lot, and the teacher was great.
14. What was your school's full name? Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan (usually referred to as NVOT)
15. School mascot? Golden Knights
16. Did you go to Prom? Of course! I actually went to the Senior prom with my now boyfriend Adam, although we weren't together then. And even stranger, I went to Junior prom with another Adam, who was my boyfriend for part of Junior year!
17. If you could go back and do it over, would you? No way. I couldn't wait to get out of there then. I'd go back to college in a heartbeat, though!
18. What do you remember most about graduation? The party afterwards. My school makes all seniors go together to an all-night party on a cruise, where no alcohol is served and no one can go home until dawn. This was established after enough kids got drunk and crashed cars after graduation. We ate and danced and hung out all night, a good part of which I spent with the guy I had been chasing. After they dropped us off at the HS the guy and I climbed up on the roof of the building and watched the sunrise over the football field. It sounds so corny but it was amazing, we'd both spent half of high school on that field! (he was a band geek too)
19. Favorite memory of your senior year? Hanging out at my friend's house watching XFiles. I finally felt like I'd found people I could be myself with, even if all we did was watch TV together.
20. Were you ever posted up on the senior wall? Nope, that was for kids who did sports, mostly.
21. Did you have a job your senior year? STARBUCKS! I loved that job, everyone who worked there was my age or a few years older, we were all great friend, and I got free coffee anytime!
22. Who did you date? I went out with my now boyfriend Adam for freshman & sophomore year, then I dated a couple of kids junior year, then senior year I was mostly with a guy named Jim. I was single for only a few months in all. . .
23. Where did you go most often for lunch? We weren't allowed to leave campus for lunch, so we ate in the cafeteria or outside on the lawn.
24. Have you gained weight since then? Of course. What a question. I weighed 115lbs in HS!
25. What did you do after graduation? That summer my parents and sister moved to Mexico City so we lived in hotels for a few weeks both in NJ and in Mexico City. It was a crazy summer and I remember a lot of time spent hanging out and doing nothing, until I got on a plane from Mexico City to PSU in August.
26. When did you graduate? 1999.